Our Discover Stoke Park & Wild Wood Carvings longer walk made us appreciate what an amazing club we have at Bristol & Bath Nordic Walking. It was a glorious autumnal day, perfect Nordic walking weather. Many of the group hadn’t walked in this area before and were amazed at the size and variety of the estate.
We all know that keeping active is important for both our mental and physical health, but sometimes it can be hard to keep up the motivation when we go at it alone. Exercising with other people has so many fantastic benefits but one of the most important is that it can be really good fun. You’re more likely to stick with exercise you enjoy, so why not try getting together and seeing what you can do to find your feelgood with others?
Being part of a club is rewarding in so many ways:
- Meeting new people and making new friends – and everyone who is attracted to Nordic walking seems to be really interesting and great company.
- Learning a new skill – in our case Nordic walking – with others. Seemingly easy on the surface, Nordic walking is a lot more complicated than most people think and it’s great discussing its nuances with others and becoming more knowledgeable about both Nordic walking and the human body in general.
- Having a reason to get out. In the winter months in particular it’s tempting to slip into ‘hibernation’ mode. Those regular classes and the friends we’ve made provide the motivation to get out and get active – and feel so much better for it.
- Getting fit and being part of other people’s fitness journey. All of us enjoy the increased total body fitness that comes with Nordic walking – but, more rewarding than this, is watching those around us reach health and fitness milestones. In the New Year we will be introducing monthly longer walks, a chance to push your fitness and walk somewhere different.
- Getting those discounts at the cafes and outdoor shops. It’s great when you walk into a café or shop and get a Nordic walking membership discount! It’s confirmation that other people recognise us and value our custom – as well as the obvious fact that we get money off as well.
- It’ll help boost your mood,connecting with others makes us feel good, but socialising while doing moderate exercise releases the feel-good hormones, endorphins at the same time, so it’s a double whammy! Exercise can not only lift your mood, but also help you feel less stressed and better able to deal with challenges more clearly.
Instructor-led group classes can help you maintain a safe, healthy exercise routine.Having a legitimate warm-up and cool-down is important,this is an integral component that is most commonly skipped by people who exercise on their own. With group classes, you’re getting the expertise of the instructor, instructors make sure the exercises you do are safe and they’ll watch your form.
We have a team of fantastic instructors, superwoman Rachel at the admin helm, and more importantly, the most magnificent group of loyal walkers. Thanks for your enthusiasm and continued support.
Bristol & Bath Nordic walking team
You can find our favourite Nordic walking poles here and if you’re looking for our advice on other walking kit with the weather changing here’s our recommendations on the best:
walking socks (socks are an important but forgotten factor)